Monday, July 27, 2015

July 27th - Week 8 I Don't Remember What Week I'm On!

Hey Everyone!!

This week was super awesome! Where to start...
We have been doing really well in the work (I think...but I don't really have anything to compare it too). We found 9 new investigators my first week! There is one family Marcela, Rodrigo, and their daughter Sofie, who I am really hopeful for. She is the English professor and it's always fun to talk to her. I am excited to keep teaching them, but they have been sick this week so it's been a while now.  Everyone has been sick this week so the last few days have been slow and we have walked around with no luck. 

We also have an investigator Gustavo who is awesome. His wife I hope will start listening because it would be awesome to have the whole family! Their son Alfonozo is 3 and he has some mental disabilities so sometimes it is hard to teach them because he requires a lot of attention and they are constantly distracted. But we are just having patience with them. 

Camila is also super great. She lives with her boyfriend (big problem here) and her daughter. She didn't answer the door when we went to pick her up for church this Sunday but we will try for next week. Like I said, there has been a bug going around here and tons of our investigators have been sick. 

There is a recent convert, Maria who just moved in the ward. She is about 85 I would say, blind, and from the South. She is here living with her daughter. We go to teach her and she is the sweetest. She calls me her gringa and I love it. Haha she is super old and wrinkly and to be honest she looks like that doll at Grandma Freedman's house that was made with the nylon stocking!!! Whenever we are with her I always think of that. 

We also have a new investigator Jeni. I think our first lesson with Jeni might be my favorite lesson so far. Wednesday we walked around all day with little luck. Nobody was answering their doors and 2 appointments had fallen through. At 8 we had an appointment with a future investigator Nicole, but she didn't answer the door. I was really bummed because the day had been hard, but we walked to plan b's house (Jeni) and she let us in. We started talking and she started talking about polygamy. There was a program that aired on the national TV this week about the LDS church and polygamy...people keep bringing it up with us. But anyways, she started telling us how she wasn't interested and just started arguing. We tried our best to assure her that we don't practice polygamy but with little luck. We asked to share a message and she agreed but i could tell she wasn't really interested. We prayed and the spirit was so strong. We shared the plan of salvation and she had tons of questions and was really receptive. At the end we bore testimony and the spirit was definitely present. It was amazing to see her heart soften during our visit and it was a really great experience. She still has a few doubts but in time we can help her out. I love how the Lord works, when we are prepared he puts people in our paths! Had our appointment with Nicole not fallen through we wouldn't have been able to meet with Jeni!

There is a less active family we have really been working with and they have started coming to church! And now all 3 are getting callings! It's awesome and I love them. They really trust us as well and they feel like my family here in Arica. We are tyring to help them prepare for the temple now which is awesome.

The bishop in our ward is incredible! I don't know if I will ever have a better bishop while on the mission. He is really young, 30 or so but is working so hard with the missionaries. He has only been bishop for 2 weeks now but it was crazy to see the difference in the ward my first week compared to my second. They had an FHE this week and the attendance was super great! He also is working super hard to get everyone to the temple and has organized trips to Cochabamba, Bolivia for September and February. 

We had interviews with President this week and I love the Daltons. They are fantastic! I also love how I can understand their spanish because they speak really slow. Thats always nice. haha

Not much else happened this week that I can think of. Hermanas Clawson and Roldan brought us completos home the other night so that was fun. We all had completos together and planned. Really though, personal opinion, Chilean food is super bland but here in Arica there are lots of Preuvians and Bolivians so those meals at members houses are soooo good. 

Today we went and visitied the morro here in Arica. Its a big tourist spot and it's a historic site. I think its where Chile won over Peru in the war of the pacific. I couldn't understand what the plaques and stuff said so I'm going with my best guess. 

I am looking forward to this next week! On Thursday Hermana Espinoza is going to Antofagasta for training so I am going to work with Hermana Carrabine for the day. Her companion is going to go with Hermana Espinoza to Antofagasta. I don't know what president is thinking because Hermana Carrabine is in her second half of training so we are two gringas that don't speak Spanish but it will be an adventure. Also it will be fun because we were in the same mission prep class at BYU!!! Such a small world. It will be fun to go see a different. sector. 

Spiritual thought of the week, Mosiah 4:27-

"And see that all things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore all things must be done in order." I



love this scripture because it totally applies to my life right now. There are always things we can improve on but it is important to rememeber that as we are diligent the lord will help us improve. As long as we are trying our hardest, we will always be doing enough.

Hope everyone has a great week!


Hermana Freedman

No comments:

Post a Comment